June 03, 2013
Contact: Chris Donley, 509-892-1001 Ext. 307
WDFW stocking large trout
for Fatherís Day fishing
OLYMPIA Ė Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) fish hatchery crews will be stocking 10,000 triploid rainbow trout in 20 lakes just before Fatherís Day weekend, June 15-16.
ďThis is the second straight year weíve stocked trout before Fatherís Day, and this year weíve doubled the number of fish and added six more lakes to the list,Ē said Chris Donley, WDFW Inland Fish Program manager. ďA fishing license is a great Fatherís Day gift and catching these big fish will make for some wonderful memories.Ē
Fishing licenses can be purchased online at https://fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov; by telephone at 1-866-246-9453; or at hundreds of license dealers across the state. For details on license vendor locations, visit WDFWís website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/vendors/.
The triploid trout, which average one-and-a-half pounds each, were purchased from contracted private fish growers. The 10,000 trout are in addition to about 42,000 triploids stocked in more than 100 lakes across the state earlier this year.
In addition, hundreds of other lakes have been stocked in Washington with millions of trout over the past year, said Donley.
Lakes that will be stocked with triploids before Fatherís Day have good shore and boat access. More details are available at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/.
The lakes by region and county, and the number of triploids that will be stocked, are:
North Puget Sound Region:
- King County: Green Lake, 1,500
- Snohomish County: Blackmans Lake, 250; Gissburg Ponds (aka Twin Lakes), 250
- Skagit County: Campbell Lake, 250
- Whatcom County: Padden Lake, 250
Coastal/Olympic Peninsula Region:
- Grays Harbor County: Vance Creek (Elma) Pond #2, 100
- Jefferson County: Sandy Shore Lake, 150
- Mason County: Mason Lake, 500
- Pierce County: American Lake, 1,500
- Thurston County: Clear Lake, 250; Hicks Lake, 250
- Clark County: Horseshoe Lake, 250
- Kittitas County: Cooper Lake, 250
- Yakima County: Clear Lake, 500
- Grant County: Park Lake, 400
- Okanogan County: Alta Lake, 350; Conconully Reservoir, 750
- Spokane County: West Medical Lake, 1,250; Williams Lake, 400
- Pend Oreille County: Diamond Lake, 600
Fish stocking details, by county and lake, are available in the annual stocking plan on WDFW's website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/plants/statewide/.